Tower of Power Keyboardist Brings his Band to Folsom
Folsom’s Jazzy Sundays concert series continues this weekend with Roger Smith’s Jazz Rosco.
Roger, a Texas native, has called Sacramento home for decades, has played keyboards for Tower of Power, for over 20 years, recording, touring and playing to sold-out audiences all over the world.
Jazz Rosco is the band he leads when not on tour with TOP.
In a world of targeted music and sanitized sound, Smith continues to crash through categories with his unique musical talent. He recently charted the #1 contemporary jazz hit, Off-The Hook. His latest effort, Just Another Day, provides us with a welcome embrace of diverse music styles. From R&B ballads (Just Another Day), to up-tempo funk infusions (Party Up, Second Wind), to Motown inspired (There is No Love, South Side of Heavy), Roger again demonstrates his love of the groove with this collection of inspired creations.
Jazz Rosco features Roger on keys, Tom Politzer on sax (Tower of Powers lead sax player), Curtish Ohlson (Ray Charles, Buddy Rich) on bass, Kyron ‘K-Frost’ Kirby on drums, and Michael Gregory on guitar.
When not making music, Roger makes wine, as owner of Bump City Wine Co in Clarksburg, at the Old Sugar Mill.
Roger is back with Tower of Power on tour beginning August 8th, and will be playing at the Sugar Mill on August 27.
This Jazz Rosco performance is the second of a 3 part concert series, Jazzy Sundays, brought to you by Steve Heard, EXP Realty of California, Inc, in cooperation with the Folsom Historic District Association, the City of Folsom, the Greater Folsom Partnership, and the generous donations of business leaders and individuals who want to see and hear great musicians perform live, in the District, just for you.
Opening the show will be Vista Jazz, a quartet featuring graduates of Folsom’s Vista del Lago music program.
The Zittel Family Amphitheater has cement seats with artificial grass. Bring a blanket or a low-backed chair for maximum comfort. Small coolers permitted.
Plenty of free parking is available in the garage across the plaza at 905 Leidesdorff St.
Please thank our fabulous sponsors! Sponsors in the District include:
- Ruby’s Books, a community-focused, independent book store, featuring a curated selection of new books from many genres, as well as toys and gifts.
- Powerhouse Pub, Folsom’s favorite bar and live music venue. Head there after the concert to catch Andy Santana playing from 3 to 6pm.
- Scott’s Seafood Roundhouse, in their beautiful new space next to the amphitheater, serving brunch from 10am.
- Snook’s Candies, where you can find hand-made chocolates as well as ice cream and other favorites
Major sponsors outside of the District:
- The Blue Waters Group, Mortgage and Real Estate Services
- Style Magazine, the local magazine that serves, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, and Foothills communities. Find articles articles of local interest as well as guides on dining, shopping, and events.
So, come on out, here some great music, enjoy the sunshine, and explore Folsom’s beautiful Historic District shops and restaurants.
Mark your calendars for August 8, for the last concert in the series, when Rene Escovedo and his Latin Jazz Ensemble takes the stage.
The last concert of the series will be August 8th with Rene Escovedo and his Latin Jazz Ensemble.
For more information, call Steve Heard 916 718 9577 or email firstname.lastname@example.org